Thursday, September 5, 2013

To Peep, or Not to Peep: That is the question.

We are adorable, but not dumb! 
Many of my fellow companions ask me why I spend so much time observing people. They often criticize me for invading people's private lives. They much prefer to hang upside down or scavenge for food. Not me. I am different. I see myself as an intellect. I'd rather spend my time reading Othello or Comedy of Errors


Their evil will strike at any moment.
Most humans assume that all possums are dumb. They see my kind as unsanitary, aggressive, and diseased. A term often used to describe us is vermin. I am a marsupial for Christ sake! My species is related to the koala and kangaroo! You never hear humans say, “oh God, get that disgusting koala bear out of the vent!" or “let's poison the kangaroo!" There isn't a wiki called “How to Get Rid of Koalas," is there? No. You only hear humans say, “Aww, look how cute and adorable that koala is sitting in the tree." And, “look at the baby kangaroo sitting in its mamma's pouch!" Possums have pouches too, you know! A koala bear is just as likely to rip your face off!  Hell, kangaroos are known for punching unsuspecting victims! Unprovoked I might add.
That fool didn't see it coming. 

 But, I digress. For this is the very reason why I spend my days studying Shakespeare. I observe people from a distance without judgment. Since they cannot see me, they do not judge me either. I often imagine that I am in one of William's plays. I see myself as Antonio in The Merchant of Venice  or as Orlando in As You Like It. Those men are revered by all. To quote Jacques, from As You Like It, “All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players; they all have their exits and their entrances." The windows I peep through are my stage, and all of those who inhabit them are the players. 
Peeping through these windows would be just marvelous!

 As a side note, I discovered this online. I have no words. 

3 comments:

  1. Shakespeare and possums -- what an interesting combination and super creative! Good on you for hyperlinking Shakespeare's works; I'm ashamed to admit, I'm pretty unfamiliar with most, except the obviously famous ones. I almost wish Thomas would go into more detail about Shakespeare so we could get a possum perspective on his works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phineas Amplifier,

    I really like how you were able to give this little possum quite the aristocratic attitude! The persona that you give him really does fight back at that stereotype against possums and makes me want to stand up for these little marsupials!

    ReplyDelete